HOUSTON – Houston is bidding its final farewell Thursday to former President George H.W. Bush at the church he attended for decades.
America’s 41st president died late Friday at his home in the Tanglewood neighborhood. He was 94.
Family, friends, dignitaries and even some celebrities filed into St. Martin’s Episcopal Church for the private family funeral that will begin at 10 a.m.
Among the about 1,000 guests in attendance are: Jim McIngvale, better known as Mattress Mack; Texans defensive end J.J. Watt; former Astros first baseman Jeff Bagwell; movie star and former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and actor Chuck Norris.
James Baker, who served as secretary of state during the Bush administration, and Bush’s grandson, George Prescott Bush, will eulogize the late president.
Country singer Reba McEntire and The Oak Ridge boys will also perform during the funeral.
After the service, George H.W. Bush will be taken by train to College Station, where he will be laid to rest. He will be buried at his presidential library next to former first lady Barbara Bush and their daughter, Robin.
Thursday’s funeral comes after 12,000 people walked past the late president’s casket as he lied in repose at the church starting Wednesday evening.
George H.W. Bush’s state funeral was held in Washington on Wednesday. He was remembered as a heroic leader and a loving father.
Program of the funeral
- “Toccata on Rejoice, Ye Pure in Heart”
- “Praise the Lord with Drums and Cymbals”
- Hymn 719, “O Beautiful for Spacious Skies”
- Anthem – “This is My Country,” St. Martin’s Parish Choir
Reception of the Body
The First Lesson
- Lamentations 3:22-26, 31-33, Marshall Lloyd Bush
- Psalm 23: King James Version, Barbara Pierce Bush, Noelle Lucila Bush, & Elizabeth Dwen Andrews
- The Honorable James A. Baker, III, 61stSecretary of State
- Tribute, The Honorable George P. Bush, Commissioner, Texas General Land Office
The Second Lesson
- 1 Corinthians 12:31b – 13:13, Georgia Grace Koch and Nancy Ellis LeBlond Sosa
Hymn, “Eternal Father, Strong to Save” (verses 1-2)
The Holy Gospel, John 11:21-27, The Rev. Martin J. Bastian
Hymn, “Eternal Father, Strong to Save” (verses 3-4)
The Homily, The Rev. Dr. Russell J. Levenson, Jr.
Anthem – “Amazing Grace,” The Oak Ridge Boys
The Apostles Creed
Anthem – “The Lord’s Prayer,” Ms. Reba McEntire
The Prayers of the People, The Rev. Peter G. Cheney and The Rev. Dr. Susannah E. McBay
The Blessing, The Rt. Rev. C. Andrew Doyle
Hymn 562, “Onward, Christian Soldiers”
Copyright 2018 by KPRC Click2Houston – All rights reserved.